Please note: This year PSD will implement the “Delayed Start” procedure for schools when appropriate. “Delayed Start” means school will begin two hours later than the regular start time. If a delayed start occurs on a late start day for high school, school will begin two hours later than the school’s normal start time (not their late start time). More information about delayed start procedures is below.
Decisions about weather-related school closures are made by 5:30 a.m. Parents and media outlets are notified immediately.
• Parents and staff will be notified by email, the PSD voice messaging system, and on the PSD website. Please keep your email and phone information current.
• Media outlets notified: Parents may tune in to local radio and television stations to find out about school closures. Spanish radio stations KGRE 1450AM and KJJD 1170AM will also be notified for Spanish-speaking families.
• B.A.S.E. Camp: When schools are closed, B.A.S.E. (Before and After School Enrichment) Camp will be closed.
If bad weather or questionable road conditions exist, PSD may implement a two-hour delayed start for schools. School will begin two hours later than the school’s usual schedule. If a delayed start occurs on a high school’s late start day, school will begin two hours later than the school’s normal start time.
Delayed start decisions are usually made by 5:30 a.m.
• Parent and staff will be notified by email, the PSD voice messaging system and on the PSD website. Local media will also have delayed start information.
• Bus pick up times will be 2 hours later than regularly scheduled pick-up times. Traffic and road conditions may increase travel time for buses. Please dress your child warmly in case of a longer wait time. Parents are encouraged to walk their children to bus stops and avoid walking along the roadways. Sidewalks are safer even if these areas are not cleared of snow.
• Drop off and arrival times are 2 hours later than regular arrival times for students being dropped off by parents or walking to school. Do not arrive earlier.
• Kindergarten and Early Childhood: Morning-only kindergarten programs and morning early childhood programs are canceled when there is a delayed start schedule. Afternoon kindergarten and afternoon Early Childhood programs will run on normal schedules. Full-day kindergarten and full-day Early Childhood programs will start 2 hours later than normal.
• B.A.S.E. (Before and After School Enrichment) Camp will open as normally scheduled for students attending these programs. If your childcare provider is other than B.A.S.E. Camp, contact them for start times.
• School dismissal times will remain on regular schedules, including bus drop-off times in neighborhoods and parent pick-up times at schools.
If the weather suddenly changes to adverse conditions, PSD may decide to release students early. Parents are urged to develop a plan for the possibility of their student’s early release home.
• Parent notification: When PSD makes a decision to close schools earlier than the regularly-scheduled release times, parents will be notified by phone. Please make sure family contacts and telephone numbers are current at your child’s school. In addition, information will be posted on the PSD website and media outlets a will be notified.
• B.A.S.E. (Before and After School Enrichment) Camp will not be available after school if schools release students early.
For more information about school closure information, contact Danielle Clark. PSD communications director at 490-3427.
Several radio stations will also be notified.