PSD is looking for community members, parents and staff to serve on a new School Start Time Scenario Committee.
PSD is considering changing school start times, possibly beginning with the 2019-2020 school year. Research indicates that high school students learn better when they get more sleep. In addition, the American Medical Association recommends teenagers start school after 8:30 a.m. Currently PSD high schools and middle schools start school between 7:25 and 8:15 a.m.
Because of the research, the PSD Board of Education and the district are considering changing school start times with the goal of impacting student health in a positive way, while minimizing any negative effects on families. They want the PSD community to be part of this important study and process.
A new School Start Time Scenario Committee will study data and develop three to four scenarios about PSD start times for deeper consideration by the PSD community. The committee, led by the assistant superintendent of secondary schools, will be active April 2018 through December 2018..
Four committee meetings are scheduled:
- Friday, April 27, 1-3 p.m., PSD Information Technology Center, 2413 LaPorte Ave.
- Tuesday, May 15, 1-3 p.m., PSD Information Technology Center, 2413 LaPorte Ave.
- Friday, June 1, 1-3 p.m., PSD Information Technology Center, 2413 LaPorte Ave.
- Monday, June 19, 1-3 p.m., PSD Information Technology Center, 2413 LaPorte Ave.
Members needed include:
- 3 Parents (one from each school level)
- 3 PSD Licensed Staff (one from each level)
- 2 PSD Classified Staff (one elementary, one secondary)
- 3 PSD Principals (one from each school level)
- 2 Community Members
Still have questions? Visit the School Start Time web pages.