This summer, Poudre School District will continue construction on new schools and facilities, as well as work on improvement projects at existing schools and other district sites.
Throughout the work, PSD and project contractors will continually assess the impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak on projects. Currently, PSD doesn't anticipate COVID-19-related construction delays at the new southeast elementary, new middle/high school at the Prospect site and new middle/high school in Wellington.
The district also doesn't expect delays to the $16 million in renovation and improvement projects scheduled to occur this summer. PSD staff are following protocols for physical distancing and wearing masks while work is underway.
Voters in 2016 approved a $375 million bond to pay for construction of the three new schools; a transportation maintenance complex at the North Terminal; an addition at Zach Elementary; and a district athletics complex at the Prospect site middle/high school. No 2016 bond dollars are being used to backfill PSD's anticipated $15 million to $28 million state funding shortfall due to COVID-19. PSD is considering use of 2016 mill levy override dollars, also approved by voters, as one-time funds to make up for the deficit only until the new schools open, at which point that funding will be used for new school operating costs.
Here's an update on projects that are underway. Check back often to see new videos and updates on behind-the-scenes work being done throughout the summer.
$40 million project list work highlights for July (this is not a complete list):
- Roof work at Linton, Olander, Johnson elementaries and Cache La Poudre Middle School
- Early childhood restrooms completed at Johnson, Shepardson and Timnath elementaries
- Fire alarm project work at Werner Elementary and Lesher Middle School
- New classroom doors (15) at Dunn Elementary
- New sound booth and A/V studios in Media Center at Polaris Expeditionary School
- Exterior concrete and drainage improvements at Riffenburgh Elementary
- Chain link fence and classroom furniture at Stove Prairie
- Furniture at Blevins Middle School
- $40 Million Project List - Work is underway at most schools repairing/replacing roof systems, HVAC work, site work, flooring, and other improvements as identified on the district’s project list.
- Wellington Middle/High School - Work includes foundation footings and masonry walls construction, water and sewer lines installation, and asphalt work on parking lots The geothermal system, consisting of 190 wells, has been completed. Underground utility installation is ongoing with a focus on the kitchen area and main mechanical rooms.
- Prospect Middle/High School - Installation of the building pad is almost complete. Sub-grade at the district stadium is complete. Grading work is being done on the detention ponds and ball fields. Sewer lines serving the site are under construction. Water line installation will begin in June.
- Southeast Elementary School - Excavation and grading operations continue in preparation of the site and building pad. Utility work and the installation of water and sewer lines are underway. The geothermal system, including 72 geothermal wells, will be completed by mid-June. Foundation work is underway.
- New Transportation Facility at the JSSC is in the design phase with construction planned to begin in late summer.
- Synthetic Turf Athletic Fields - Poudre and Fort Collins High Schools' athletic fields will be converted into synthetic grass fields. New goal posts and soccer goals will be installed.
In case you missed it - April 2020 update
This April video update features drone footage at new school sites.