Poudre School District is conducting a comprehensive review of the district’s School Resource Officer (SRO) program and is seeking parents, students and community members to serve on an advisory council that will be crucial to these efforts.
Throughout the 2020-21 school year, the Community Advisory Council, or CAC, will periodically provide feedback to the PSD Board of Education regarding the SRO program based on the review being conducted in response to community concerns raised about police presence in PSD schools.
The council will be comprised of PSD staff and community members, including parent and student representatives. The CAC will review PSD discipline data and law enforcement referrals.
“Engaging the Community Advisory Council is part of an overarching important dialogue that is taking place in PSD. We are committed to collaborating with our community stakeholders to go beyond listening and take actionable steps that ensure consistent equitable outcomes in our schools for all students,” said John McKay, director of PSD’s Language, Culture and Equity Department.
“We are fortunate to be part of a community that is willing to speak up, call for action and accountability, and have discussions leading to positive change. Know that we hear you, and we’re prepared to engage in this important work”
PSD staff, incorporating feedback from the council, will make recommendations regarding the continuation of the SRO program in PSD schools to the Board of Education in the spring of 2021. The Board will vote next spring whether to continue the SRO program and renew contracts with the three law enforcement agencies – Fort Collins Police Services, Larimer County Sheriff’s Office and Town of Timnath police, whose SROs are contracted to work in PSD schools.
Members selected by application:
PSD is seeking community members at-large (4). Please note: Preference will be given to parents/guardians of current PSD students and PSD students in the selection process.
- To apply, submit this online application form (Español and عربي ) by 4:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 11.
- Applications will be evaluated by a selection committee comprised of appointed CAC members to review for balanced council representation.
- Selected applicants will be notified Sept. 18.
- Applicants who are not selected will also be notified Sept. 18.
- It is anticipated that the council will meet for the first time in late October as determined by CAC members.
Standing PSD staff members:
- Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Schools
- Executive Director of Operations
- Director of Language, Culture, and Equity
- Director of Student Services
- High school principal
- Middle school principal
Members selected by appointment:
- School justice PSD representatives (2)
- Black, indigenous and people of color representative (1)
- Faith-based representative (1)
- Judicial system representative (1)
- Fort Collins Police Services representative (1)
- Larimer County Sheriff’s Office representative (1)
Questions about the CAC? Contact Director of Language, Culture and Equity Director John McKay at firstname.lastname@example.org.