PSD Supports Local Farmers
PSD's Child Nutrition Department supports Farm to School efforts bringing local, Colorado grown and produced ingredients to cafeterias. About 15-20% of PSD food dollars are spent on food items grown, produced, or manufactured in Colorado.
Look for the Colorado Proud stickers in the Cafe highlighting particular items that are local or dishes that include local ingredients.
Fresh and local produce served in school cafes
Apples, Broccoli, Cantaloupe, Carrots, Cauliflower, Cherry Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Green Peppers, Lettuce, Onions, Peaches, Potatoes, Pumpkins, Radishes, Red Peppers, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes, Watermelon
"We Buy Local" Facts
- PSD purchases from 22 Colorado farms.
- 24 local & organic produce items are served in PSD schools during the Colorado growing season.
- All milk served in PSD schools travels from dairy farms less than 1 hour away.
- All fresh breads, buns, and rolls are baked outside of Denver.
- All tortillas and taco shells served in schools are made in Colorado.
- Spice blends are purchased from a local Fort Collins company, Custom Blends.
- The Green Chili served in schools is also a Colorado made item, as well as being vegetarian and gluten free.
Educational video from Organic Wacky Apple
Wacky Apple on the western slope in the North Folk Valley. They grow organic apples, peaches, and pears for PSD school salad bars as well as the "flat fruit" fruit leathers sold in some schools ala carte. Here's an educational video about apples.