Applications for the 2020-21 school year:
- Applications are still being accepted for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Application deadline is noon, Thursday, August 13.
The 2021-2022 school choice application is scheduled to be available by the end of the business day on Monday, August 17.
PSD offers diverse schools and programs
Neighborhood schools offer a rigorous standards-driven curriculum, and gifted, enrichment, and accelerated options. Other schools may have a specific curriculum or focus like International Baccalaureate, Core Knowledge, hands-on learning, dual-language immersion and online learning (see the left-hand menu for more information about options).
PSD's School Choice program allows families to select the school that best meets their child's educational needs based on space availability and eligibility requirements. A school choice application is required to attend a school that is not a student’s neighborhood school or to attend a choice only school.
Deadlines, school notifications about school choice applications, and when families need to respond to schools about their decision are included in the timelines below:
The school choice website works best in Firefox, Chrome or Safari.
School Choice reminders
Applications are still being accepted for the 2020-2021 school year. The application deadline is noon, Thursday, August 13.
- The second-consideration application period is available for families who missed applying during the first-consideration period.
- The order in which applications are received during the second-consideration period are based on priority ranking and date and time when the application was submitted.
- Submitted applications will receive a confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not receive a confirmation email, it means you did not properly submit your student’s application. To finalize the submission process, please access your account in Smart Choice™.
- Students who intend to remain at their current school choice school for the 2020-21 school year do not need to reapply.
Communication with schools
With the School Choice system, all communication is through email. Parents are responsible for monitoring their applications by checking email and on their account dashboard regarding acceptance of seats or requests to be on a school's wait list.
Once a school year begins, open enrollment (school choice) for that school year is over. Applying to attend another school is considered a transfer and must be approved by either the Assistant Superintendent of Elementary Schools or Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Schools.