Applications are being accepted for the 2021-22 school year.
The first consideration application period is now closed.
The second consideration application period is scheduled to be available beginning at 8 a.m. (Mountain Time), Monday, Feb. 8.
Applications for the 2020-2021 are no longer being accepted. To change schools for the 2020-2021 school year, please follow the school transfer process available at the bottom of this page.
PSD offers diverse schools and programs
Neighborhood schools offer a rigorous standards-driven curriculum, and gifted, enrichment, and accelerated options. Other schools may have a specific curriculum or focus like International Baccalaureate, Core Knowledge, hands-on learning, dual-language immersion and online learning (see the left-hand menu for more information about options).
PSD's School Choice program allows families to select the school that best meets their child's educational needs based on space availability and eligibility requirements. A school choice application is required to attend a school that is not a student’s neighborhood school or to attend a choice only school.
Deadlines, school notifications about school choice applications, and when families need to respond to schools about their decision are included in the timelines below:
The school choice website works best in Firefox, Chrome or Safari.
School Choice reminders
The 2021-22 school choice application is now open.
- The first consideration application period for new and renewal applications is now closed. The second consideration application period is scheduled to be available beginning at 8 a.m. (Mountain Time), Monday, Feb. 8.
- The second consideration application period is available for families who missed applying during the first consideration application period.
- Submitted applications will receive a confirmation email from email@example.com. If you do not receive a confirmation email, it means you did not properly submit your student’s application. To finalize the submission process, please access your account in Smart Choice™.
- Students who intend to remain at their current school choice school for the 2021-22 school year do not need to reapply.
- Parents who have students on a school’s 2020-2021 wait list:
For a student to remain on a school’s wait list for School Choice for the 2021-2022 school year, the current 2020-2021 School Choice application must renewed by the first consideration period deadline, which is 12 p.m., noon, Friday, Jan. 15. Parents can renew their student's School Choice application by accessing their account in Smart Choice™ and referring to the dashboard for instructions.
- Applicants do not automatically roll over to the 2021-2022 wait list.
- Failure to renew a student’s current 2020-2021 School Choice application for the 2021-2022 school year will result in the student being removed from that school’s 2021-2022 wait list.
Communication with schools
With the School Choice system, all communication is through email. Parents are responsible for monitoring their applications by checking email and on their account dashboard regarding acceptance of seats or requests to be on a school's wait list.
Once a school year begins, open enrollment (school choice) for that school year is over. Applying to attend another school is considered a transfer and must be approved by either the Assistant Superintendent of Elementary Schools or Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Schools.