Fueling up kids with free summer meals!
Summer vacation is right around the corner. Even though kids may not be in class, they can still power their minds and bodies with a nutritious meal.
Poudre School District Child Nutrition is feeding kids this summer…for free! Any child, age 18 or younger, in Larimer County can receive free meals this summer from May 31 – July 29. There will be no meal service on July 4.
Meals will be available at:
- Linton Elementary, 4100 Caribou Dr., Fort Collins, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Putnam Elementary, 1400 Maple St., Fort Collins, 12 p.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Meals are the same for all children regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability.
2022-23 school year: Families must apply to receive free meals!
For the upcoming 2022-23 school year, students will no longer receive free meals unless they have been approved for the Free and Reduced Meals program. This is a change from this year (the 2021-22 school year) with free meals being offered to all PSD students. The program that helped make that possible (related to the pandemic) is ending. For the 2022-23 school year, families must apply and be approved for the Free and Reduced Meals program to receive benefits. Applications for the 2022-23 school year will be accepted beginning Monday, Aug. 1.
Have a senior graduating in May? Don't forget your lunch money!
As the end of the school year quickly approaches, please remember to check your senior's lunch account balance. PSD will not be charging for meals the remainder of the 2021-2022 school year. For seniors with money in their lunch account, you have a few options.
- Request to transfer balance to a sibling
- Request a balance refund
- Request to donate balance to PSD Child Nutrition
All requests should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your senior's name, sibling's name for transfers and address information for refunds.
Nutritious meals help students learn
A leader in K-12 food service, PSD Child Nutrition partners with customers, manufacturers and other school districts to provide students with fresh and delicious breakfasts and lunches in the cafeterias, as well as in the classrooms and grab-and-go selections.
Menu items meet or exceed USDA guideline to ensure healthy and nutritious meals for students. Recipes include more vegetables, Colorado-grown produce, whole grains and less preservatives. New menu items and products are taste-tested by students to determine what items to offer in school cafeterias.
How are school meals prepared?
PSD school kitchens prepare meals daily mostly by scratch - a safer, higher quality option than other districts who use centralized kitchens.
- MyPlate reflection of a balanced meal with the required food components: whole grains, meat/meat alternate, fruits, vegetables, milk (juice), salad bars
- 6-8 fruits and vegetables available at lunch ($1 million of budget spent on produce)
- High quality ingredients (ie 100% beef patties)
- Less processed items, preservatives, additives, sodium and no trans fat
- Increase the amount of vegetables in current recipes
- Scratch recipes include: lasagna, chili, pasta carbonara, chicken alfredo, philly cheesesteak, burrito bar, yogurt parfaits and a variety of daily salads and wraps.
- New seasonal recipes
PSD Child Nutrition facts:
- Provides students with healthy, low cost meals to enhance student learning and achievement.
- Prepares healthy meals on-site that meet or exceed USDA nutritional criteria and food safety standards.
- 45 Kitchens prepare 2.2 million high-quality meals across the district.
- PSD Child Nutrition is a founding member of the Northern Colorado Local Food Cluster to identify major gaps in availability of local ingredient options. Each month, an evaluation of local options that can be purchased in food service scale quantities is done.
- A department assessment by Prismatic, an independent company, stated: "Prismatic found a highly functioning, financially self-supporting CN program in PSD. The CN department excels at providing a variety of menu choices and fresh fruit and vegetable offerings at all grade levels...The survey results among all four stakeholder groups include positive responses in many areas."
PSD Child Nutrition job opportunities are available
Find opening on the PSD EPSD Employment website.