Serving PSD students and families
PSD’s Transportation Department strives to maximize student ridership and ensure safety while following public health guidelines for bus transportation.
PSD has a bus scan-card system - learn more here.
Bus requests open for 2023-24
PSD aims to transport as many students as possible to and from school. To ensure that families needing transportation receive this service, riders must now apply for busing each year, even if they’ve had busing before. Families may submit a PSD bus request for the 2023-24 school year here.
PSD bus protocols
To set our children up for a great year together, please take a moment to review these reminders and health and safety information about riding the bus.
Masks optional on buses
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) no longer requires people to wear masks on buses or vans operated by public or private school programs. PSD remains a mask-friendly district, and drivers and students will be supported if they choose to wear a mask.
Reminders about riding the bus:
- Please ensure your student arrives at the bus stop five minutes before the assigned stop time to ensure they don’t miss the bus in the morning.
- Buses will display a four-digit route number in the third student window of the bus behind the entry door. This number should match the route number listed in your student’s details.
- Buses leave between five to ten minutes after school dismissal. Please plan accordingly to pick up/meet your student at their designated drop-off point.
- Students who do not ride the bus for 10 or more consecutive school days may be identified as non-riders. We will notify you in an email if your student is identified as a non-rider and is subject to being removed from busing.
- Students need to scan on and off the bus to ensure they are not identified as nonriders subject to having their bussing removed.
- If you have a short-term absence contact Dispatch at 970-490-3232 to let the driver know not to expect you, though it is not required.
- If you have an extended absence from the bus (greater than 10 school days) and need to maintain your seat on the bus, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your student’s ID number and the reason for the absence.
Health and safety:
- Parents/guardians are expected to take their child’s temperature and screen them for symptoms before leaving the house to ensure that an ill student does not ride the bus.
- There are no social distancing requirements on buses, as allowed by current public health guidelines. PSD assigned as many students as is safely possible to each bus to ensure that students who need a bus to get to school have that opportunity at a time where PSD is short bus drivers.
- PSD will track attendance using its new bus badge system.
- Bus windows and vents will be opened for ventilation when weather permits.
- Students may not eat or drink on the bus.
PSD needs bus drivers!
PSD 's The Bus Drive campaign is focused on recruiting new bus drivers. PSD needs you!
PSD is short bus drivers, and that means the district can’t bus all children who requested services. This is a nationwide challenge with a local impact – on our children in our community. Help us solve this problem by becoming a vitally important member of our community. Learn about the benefits of the job on the Be a PSD Bus Driver web page.