Register for the 2022-23 school year
Note: Masks are optional and not required in PSD.
Kindergarten is an exciting and important first step on your student's educational journey. In PSD, you'll find students are supported in many ways with caring teachers and staff, positive school and classroom culture, as well as a collaborative, safe and welcoming learning environment.
Eligibility: Children must be 5 years old on or before Oct. 1, 2022 (Superintendent's Policy JEB) to be registered for kindergarten in the 2022-23 school year.
Cost: Kindergarten in PSD is free (all-day and half-day programs)!
How to find the right school and register
PSD support services for kindergarten families
Busing is available for students who qualify. Learn more: Transportation >>
PSD serves nutritious meals with local ingredients. Families can apply for free and reduced-priced meals. More: School Meals >>
Before-and-after-school care: AlphaBest offers services at PSD schools. More: Before-and-After-School Care >>
Kindergarten gives children a foundation for successful learning
Kindergarten helps young children establish a love of learning, giving them a foundation to build on to become successful students and lifelong learners. Kindergartners benefit academically, emotionally and socially. They:
- Learn to be a student
- Gain independence
- Build early literacy skills and problem-solving skills
- Develop social skills like getting along with others; playing and sharing; making connections; and growing friendships
- Experience a “whole child” education where they grow academically, socially and emotionally. See goals identified for kindergartners - Colorado Department of Education 2020 Colorado Academic Standards - Family Guide for Kindergarten >>
Peek inside a PSD kindergarten classroom
"The student experience is a transformation - watching children thrive in their environment and kids feeling supported in the classroom, feeling excited about being at school and having connections with everyone." Rosie Navejas, kindergarten teacher at Harris Bilingual Elementary School
- Contact the school you're interested in attending with specific questions about their program.
- Visit the Kindergarten Frequently Asked Questions web page for answers to common questions.
- Email info@psdschools
- PSD retention guidelines: Some teachers or parents/guardians may want to hold a student back a grade for a variety of reasons. PSD considers these requests following these guidelines.