School closure, delayed start, and early release
Note: If all schools are open, information may not be sent to parents via email. School status if schools are open, closed or on a delayed start will be posted on the top right of the home page on the PSD website.
When bad weather rolls in, the PSD superintendent may decide to cancel school, start school later or close school earlier in the day. Please see below for details about each procedure.
If you're wondering how the decision is made, watch the short PSD TV video below or read this message from PSD Superintendent Sandra Smyser about how she and and her PSD staff make the decision.
1. School closures:
Decisions about weather-related school closures are made by 5:30 a.m. Parents and staff will be notified by email, by phone, and information will be posted on the PSD website and Facebook page. Local media will be notified.
- When schools are closed, all school activities and athletics are cancelled. B.A.S.E Camp is closed also.
- High school students who attend classes at Front Range Community College or Colorado State University should check with the college to determine if classes are in session.
2. Delayed start - 2 hours later than normal:
Delayed start decisions are usually made by 5:30 a.m. Parents and staff will be notified by email, phone and information will be posted on the PSD website and Facebook page. Local media will also be notified.
- Bus pick up times: Buses will pick up students at bus stops 2 hours later than the regular schedule. Road conditions may increase travel time for buses and students may have a longer wait time at bus stops.
- Drop off and arrival times: Students who walk to school, are dropped off or who drive should arrive 2 hours later than regular arrival times. Please do not arrive earlier.
- Kindergarten and Early Childhood programs: Morning-only kindergarten and Early Childhood programs are cancelled during a delayed start schedule. Afternoon kindergarten and Early Childhood programs follow normal schedules. Full-day kindergarten and Early Childhood programs start 2 hours later than normal and release on time.
- Before- and after-school childcare: B.A.S.E. Camp will open at the normal time for students who attend the program.
- School dismissal times: Schools will dismiss students at normal times. Bus drop-off times in neighborhoods and parent pick-up times at schools will also be on regular schedule.
- Breakfast: Breakfast will not be served.
3. Early release:
If the weather changes to adverse conditions, PSD may decide to release students early. Parents are urged to develop a plan for situations when their student may be released early.
- Parents will be notified by phone and email. In addition,information will be posted on the PSD website and Facebook page. Local media will also be notified.
- B.A.S.E. Camp will not be available after school if students are released early.
Media outlets notified (list subject to change):
PSD Channel 10 (Comcast Cable/US Cable)