Bamford Elementary School is open!
Bamford Elementary School celebrated its grand opening for the 2021-22 school year with a ribbon-cutting ceremony in August. Two fifth-grade student ambassadors give you a tour of their new school in this PSD TV video:
Update on summer 2021 work
Poudre School District has been hard at work making improvements at schools and facilities across the district that will benefit students, staff and the community. Major summer construction projects at several schools included updating heating and ventilation systems, roofing projects, new flooring, window and door replacements, installation of early childhood restrooms at five elementary schools and more.
In addition, two new 26’ X 34’ video score boards were installed at district stadiums, and the French Field press box was completely remodeled. Read more about PSD 2021 summer projects in this news item.
Voter-approved 2016 bond and mill levy override
The $375 million bond pays for building three new schools, an athletics complex, transportation maintenance facility, and an addition to Zach Elementary School. The bond also funds $40 million of improvements to existing schools. The $8 million mill levy override pays for operating costs of the new buildings, as well as technology refresh and other materials and operating costs associated with growth.
The new schools and facilities improvements are part of the district's long-range plan to accommodate anticipated student growth over the next few years. Court cases delayed the work, but PSD ultimately prevailed in litigation in fall 2018. PSD's Board of Education approved the issuance of bonds in September 2018, clearing the way for construction.
$375 million bond financing (no increase to current tax rate) pays for:
- New Schools/Addition: $295.6 million
- New Athletic Complex: $6.225 million
- Transportation Maintenance Facility- North Terminal: $11.3 million
- Ongoing Facilities Improvements: $40 million
- Bond Issue Expenses: $2 million
- Bond Project Coordination: $7.875 million
- Bond Project Reserve: $12 million
New schools and construction
New Timnath Middle-High School on Prospect Road - opening fall 2022
New Wellington Middle-High School - opening fall 2022
New Bamford Elementary School (new southeast school) - opened fall 2021
Zach Elementary School addition - completed in 2019
New Athletics Complex at the Prospect Site - opening fall 2022
New Transportation Maintenance Facility, North Terminal - opening fall 2022
New Futures Lab - educational programming began in 2019. Funding for this program includes multiple sources and may include a portion of the 2016 bond premium. All projects included in the original 2016 bond program will be fully funded.
- School-based requests: $12 million
- Facilities deferred maintenance: $28 million
2016 Mill levy override
$2 million - $8 million (phased in over two years) pays for:
- Start-up costs for new buildings
- School-based staff salaries (principals, assistant principals, Integrated Services coordinators, English Language Learners staff, mental health staff, school resource officers, Child Nutrition staff, etc.)
- Facilities staff salaries
- Materials and equipment for operations tied to growth (buses, custodial, staff, etc.)
- Technology refresh costs associated with growth