Bond projects underway
PSD voters approved a bond and mill levy override in November 2016. The $375 million bond will pay for building three new schools, an athletics complex, transportation maintenance facility, and an addition to Zach Elementary School. The bond will also fund $40 million of improvements to every existing school. The $8 million mill levy override will pay for operating costs of the new buildings, as well as technology refresh and other materials and operating costs associated with growth.
The new schools and facilities improvements are part of the district's long-range plan to accommodate anticipated student growth over the next few years. Court cases delayed the work, but PSD ultimately prevailed in litigation in fall 2018. PSD's Board of Education approved the issuance of bonds in September 2018, clearing the way for construction.
April 2020 update: PSD projects continue during health crisis
The district is working with project contractors to continually assess the impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak on PSD projects. Please note: PSD staff are following protocols for physical distancing while work is underway.
Currently PSD doesn't anticipate COVID-19 pandemic-related construction delays at the new southeast elementary, new middle/high school at the Prospect site and new middle/high school in Wellington.
The district also doesn't anticipate any delays to renovation and improvement projects currently under contract and planned for summer 2020. As of mid-April, an estimated $13 million in projects are scheduled to occur this summer.
Design of the transportation maintenance facility at the north terminal, also a 2016 bond-funded project, will be completed; however, construction will be paused temporarily during the outbreak.
PSD TV drone footage at new school sites
Zach Elementary School addition completed
Last summer, PSD renovated media centers, replaced furniture, updated heating and ventilation systems, and added space to Zach Elementary School to increase the school’s enrollment capacity to 600 students. Read more about the completed Zach project on the Additional Construction web page.
$375 million bond financing (no increase to current tax rate) will pay for:
- New Schools/Addition: $295.6 million
- New Athletic Complex: $6.225 million
- Transportation Maintenance Facility- North Terminal: $11.3 million
- Ongoing Facilities Improvements: $40 million
- Bond Issue Expenses: $2 million
- Bond Project Coordination: $7.875 million
- Bond Project Reserve: $12 million
New schools and construction
New Middle/High School on Prospect Road - opening fall 2022
New Middle/High School in Wellington - opening fall 2022
New Southeast Elementary School - opening fall of 2021
Zach Elementary School addition - opening winter 2019
New Athletics Complex at the Prospect Site - opening fall 2022
New Transportation Maintenance Facility, North Terminal - opening fall 2022
New Futures Lab - educational programming begins in 2019 with classes located at Fort Collins High School until a permanent location is established. Funding for this program will include multiple sources and may include a portion of the 2016 bond premium. All projects included in the original 2016 bond program will be fully funded.
- School-based requests: $12 million
- Facilities deferred maintenance: $28 million
2016 Mill levy override
$2 million - $8 million (phased in over two years) will pay for:
- Start-up costs for new buildings
- School-based staff salaries (principals, assistant principals, Integrated Services coordinators, English Language Learners staff, mental health staff, school resource officers, Child Nutrition staff, etc.)
- Facilities staff salaries
- Materials and equipment for operations tied to growth (buses, custodial, staff, etc.)
- Technology refresh costs associated with growth