Timnath and Wellington Middle-High Schools are open!
The Poudre School District, Timnath and Wellington communities celebrated the future while honoring the past during grand opening events of the new Timnath and Wellington Middle-High Schools. Timnath’s open house event was July 22 and Wellington’s celebration was Aug. 11, held just before the start of the new 2022-23 school year.
Timnath Middle-High School, 4700 E. Prospect Road in Timnath, and Wellington Middle-High School, 2856 Cleveland Ave. in Wellington, welcomed students in grades 6-10 on Aug. 16, PSD’s first day of school. Both schools will grow to serve students through grade 12 and can accommodate up to 1,500 students.
Voter-approved 2016 bond and mill levy override
The $375 million bond pays for building three new schools, an athletics complex, transportation maintenance facility, and an addition to Zach Elementary School. The bond also funds $40 million of improvements to existing schools. The $8 million mill levy override pays for operating costs of the new buildings, as well as technology refresh and other materials and operating costs associated with growth.
The new schools and facilities improvements are part of the district's long-range plan to accommodate anticipated student growth over the next few years. Court cases delayed the work, but PSD ultimately prevailed in litigation in fall 2018. PSD's Board of Education approved the issuance of bonds in September 2018, clearing the way for construction.
$375 million bond financing (no increase to current tax rate) pays for:
- New Schools/Addition: $295.6 million
- New Athletic Complex: $6.225 million
- Transportation Maintenance Facility- North Terminal: $11.3 million
- Ongoing Facilities Improvements: $40 million
- Bond Issue Expenses: $2 million
- Bond Project Coordination: $7.875 million
- Bond Project Reserve: $12 million
New schools and construction
New Timnath Middle-High School on Prospect Road - opening fall 2022
New Wellington Middle-High School - opening fall 2022
New Bamford Elementary School (new southeast school) - opened fall 2021
Zach Elementary School addition - completed in 2019
New Athletics Complex at the Prospect Site - opening fall 2022
New Transportation Maintenance Facility, North Terminal - opening fall 2022
New Futures Lab - educational programming began in 2019. Funding for this program includes multiple sources and may include a portion of the 2016 bond premium. All projects included in the original 2016 bond program will be fully funded.
- School-based requests: $12 million
- Facilities deferred maintenance: $28 million
2016 Mill levy override
$2 million - $8 million (phased in over two years) pays for:
- Start-up costs for new buildings
- School-based staff salaries (principals, assistant principals, Integrated Services coordinators, English Language Learners staff, mental health staff, school resource officers, Child Nutrition staff, etc.)
- Facilities staff salaries
- Materials and equipment for operations tied to growth (buses, custodial, staff, etc.)
- Technology refresh costs associated with growth