Meal service during Phase 1 remote/Phase 3 hybrid learning
- When PSD is in Phase 1 Remote Learning: meals will be available for students to pick up at designated school and mobile sites.
- When PSD is in Phase 3 Hybrid Learning:
- At school students can choose to eat school meals or bring their lunch from home.
- On their remote education days, students can pick up meals at designated school and mobile meal sites. PSD Virtual students can get meals at these sites too.
- Designated school and mobile sites: Sack meals are available to PSD students 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday through Friday (on scheduled school days).
- People must wear face coverings and maintain social distancing at meal sites.
- Students may get meals at any location regardless of the school they attend or where they live.
- Students and families picking up meals will be asked to provide a PSD ID number and name.
- There is no cost for meals. Meals are free as part of a U.S. Department of Agriculture school district reimbursement program. Parents are encouraged to still apply for free and reduced-priced meals, which helps with school funding and P-EBT benefits (MySchoolApps website).
- Special diet needs: For special diet needs, contact Becky Wiggins in the Child Nutrition Department at email@example.com or 970-490-3348 to ensure meal modifications are available based on health plans. Please give two days notice. See allergy and ingredients in meals on the menu website.
- Community resources available for adults and non PSD students through the Food Bank for Larimer County.
Have a question and your not sure who to contact? Send your question to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get it forwarded to just the right person.
Nutritious meals help students learn
A leader in K-12 food service, PSD Child Nutrition partners with customers, manufacturers and other school districts to provide students with fresh and delicious breakfasts and lunches in the cafeterias, as well as in the classrooms and grab-and-go selections.
Menu items meet or exceed USDA guideline to ensure healthy and nutritious meals for students. Recipes include more vegetables, Colorado-grown produce, whole grains and less preservatives. New menu items and products are taste-tested by students to determine what items to offer in school cafeterias.
How are school meals prepared?
PSD school kitchens prepare meals daily mostly by scratch - a safer, higher quality option than other districts who use centralized kitchens.
- MyPlate reflection of a balanced meal with the required food components: whole grains, meat/meat alternate, fruits, vegetables, milk (juice), salad bars
- 6-8 fruits and vegetables available at lunch ($1 million of budget spent on produce)
- High quality ingredients (ie 100% beef patties)
- Less processed items, preservatives, additives, sodium and no trans fat
- Increase the amount of vegetables in current recipes
- Scratch recipes include: lasagna, chili, pasta carbonara, chicken alfredo, philly cheesesteak, burrito bar, yogurt parfaits and a variety of daily salads and wraps.
- New seasonal recipes
PSD Child Nutrition facts:
- Provides students with healthy, low cost meals to enhance student learning and achievement.
- Prepares healthy meals on-site that meet or exceed USDA nutritional criteria and food safety standards.
- 45 Kitchens prepare 2.2 million high-quality meals across the district.
- PSD Child Nutrition is a founding member of the Northern Colorado Local Food Cluster to identify major gaps in availability of local ingredient options. Each month, an evaluation of local options that can be purchased in food service scale quantities is done.
- A department assessment by Prismatic, an independent company, stated: "Prismatic found a highly functioning, financially self-supporting CN program in PSD. The CN department excels at providing a variety of menu choices and fresh fruit and vegetable offerings at all grade levels...The survey results among all four stakeholder groups include positive responses in many areas."
Child Nutrition Job Opportunities - Check out the PSD Employment Site for openings in Child Nutrition.