State and National Excellence Recognitions
Students achieve academically and with activities - See the latest student accomplishments here.
Within the past four years:
- 7 students were selected as Boettcher Scholars
- 10 students were selected as Daniels Fund Scholars
- 49 students were selected as National Merit Scholar Finalists
- 11 students were selected as National Hispanic Recognition Scholars
- 1 student was selected as a Presidential Scholar
- Numerous students became state champions in science, history, and knowledge bowls, as well as in speech, debate, theater, and music
- Several student athletes became state champions in track and field, swimming, baseball, wrestling, golf, tennis, cheerleading and marching band.
- Seven PSD schools named U.S.D.E. National Blue Ribbon schools since 2003 for their high achievement among students.
- Three PSD schools designated U.S.D.E. National Green Ribbon schools for their commitment to health and sustainability.
- Four PSD schools named a "Trailblazer School to Watch" by the Colorado Association of Middle Level Education for academic excellence, developmental responsiveness, social equity and organizational structure and processes. Lesher Middle School received, for the third time, the latest designation in 2020.
- PSD has been named a Gold Leader each year since 2009 for district sustainability accomplishments.
PSD Staff - State and National Awards and Recognitions
Visit the Board Recognitions web page to see video clips of recognitions for these accomplishments.
2022 National Outstanding Assistant Principals of the Year by the National Association of Elementary School Principals (May 2022) and the 2022 Colorado Assistant Elementary School Principal of the Year (January 2022): Cale Whicker
2021 Colorado SHAPE Middle School Physical Education Teacher of the Year: Lesher Middle School teacher Matt Moeller
Colorado Association of Science Teachers 2021 AVS Teaching Award for Excellence in Secondary Science Education: Rocky Mountain High School teacher Dr. Yajaira Fuentes-Tauber
Colorado Hands and Voices 2021 Families First Award: McGraw Elementary teacher of the deaf Cathy Bowles
Colorado Council of Teachers of Mathematics excellence in teaching and leadership awards (fall 2021):
Teaching award - Kruse Elementary School teacher Emily Vangermeersh
Teaching award - Preston Middle School teacher Kathy Sampson
Leadership award – Poudre High School teacher Elissa Pitts
Teaching award – Olander School for Project Based Learning teacher Eryn Burge
PSD staff achievements, published articles, degrees and more (fall 2021)
2021 Colorado Teacher of the Year Finalist: Tricia Kearns, Webber Middle School Fall 2020
2020 Colorado School Psychologist of the Year (Colorado Society of School Psychologists): Danielle Duncan, Kinard Middle School and Werner Elementary School Fall 2020
- Recognized American School Counselor Association (ASCA) Model program (RAMP): Rocky Mountain High School Counseling Department. Spring 2020
- 2019 Colorado High School Theater Educator of the Year: John Garner, Fossil Ridge High School teacher Fall 2019
- Colorado Council of Teachers of Mathematics 2019 Outstanding Mathematics Teacher: Cathy Martin, Lopez Elementary teacher Fall 2019
2019 Colorado High School Counselor of the Year: Kelley Madden, Rocky Mountain High School counselor Fall 2019
Governor's Award for Worksite Wellness (fall 2019): Amanda Brantley, district wellness manager,
Emmy Award (August 2019): Matt Gohl and Phillip Primo with PSD TV
2019 Dale Yost Teacher and Coach of the Year (Colorado High School Coaches Association): Conrad Crist, FCHS teacher and coach
2019 Colorado 5A Cross Country Ski Coach of the Year - Coach Kyle Steitz
2019 Outstanding New Family and Consumer Sciences Professional - Ashley Acuff, FCHS teacher
- 2018 5A Boys Golf CHSSA Coaches of the Year: Andy Stevens and Jamie Menefee, Fossil Ridge HS coaches
- 2018 Reba Ferguson Memorial Administrator Rookie of the Year award (Colorado Association of School Executives): Alissa Poduska, Shepardson Elementary principal.
- 2018 Terrel H. Bell Award for Outstanding School Leadership (national award) - Aisha Thomas, Zach Elementary principal
- 2018 SHAPE Administrator of the Year (Society of Health and Physical Educators): Tom Dodd, Lesher Middle School principal.
2019 CDE Academic Excellence Awards
John Irwin Schools of Excellence Award for schools that demonstrate excellent academic achievement. On the school performance framework used by the state to evaluate schools, these schools exceed expectations on the indicator for academic achievement over three years.
- Bennett Elementary
- Bethke Elementary
- Cache La Poudre Middle School
- Dunn Elementary
- Fort Collins Montessori School
- Fossil Ridge High School
- Kinard Core Knowledge Middle School
- Kruse Elementary
- Liberty Common Charter Schools
- McGraw Elementary
- Traut Core Knowledge Elementary
- Werner Elementary
- Zach Elementary
High School Academic Growth Award – Ridgeview Classicial School for showing high levels of students’ academic growth in state assessments.
Governor’s Distinguished Improvement Awards for schools that demonstrate excellent student growth. On the school performance framework used by the state to evaluate schools, these schools exceed expectations on the indicator related to longitudinal academic growth over three years.
- Bennett Elementary School
- Livermore Elementary School
- McGraw Elementary School
- Rice Elementary School
- Shepardson Elementary School
- Werner Elementary School
- Zach Elementary School
- Mountain Sage Community School
Colorado Centers of Excellence Award for schools with the highest rates of student growth in schools in which at least 75 percent of students are considered at-risk - Putnam Elementary School