Serving PSD students and families
During the 2021-22 school year, PSD’s Transportation department is striving to maximize student ridership and ensure safety while following public health guidelines for bus transportation.
PSD has a new bus scan-card system - learn more about it here.
PSD bus protocols
To set our children up for a great year together, please take a moment to review these reminders and health and safety information about riding the bus.
Reminders about riding the bus:
- Please ensure your student arrives at the bus stop 5 minutes before the assigned stop time to ensure they don’t miss the bus in the morning.
- Buses will display a four-digit route number in the third student window of the bus behind the entry door. This number should match the route number listed in your student’s details.
- Buses leave between 5 to 10 minutes after school dismissal. Please plan accordingly to pick up/meet your student at their designated drop-off point.
Health and safety:
- Everyone is required to wear masks on the bus, due to a federal order.
- Parents/guardians are expected to take their child’s temperature and screen them for symptoms before leaving the house to ensure that an ill student does not ride the bus.
- There are no social distancing requirements on buses, as allowed by current public health guidelines. PSD assigned as many students as is safely possible to each bus to ensure that students who need a bus to get to school have that opportunity at a time where PSD is short bus drivers.
- Assigned seats will support PSD with contact tracing investigations.
- PSD will track attendance using its new bus badge system. Learn more here. >>
- Students who are approved for a PSD medical mask exemption must have open seats around them, following current public health guidance.
- Bus windows and vents will be opened for ventilation when weather permits.
- PSD will continue sanitizing buses after routes.
- Students may not eat or drink on the bus.
PSD needs bus drivers!
PSD is short bus drivers, and that means the district can’t bus all children who requested services. This is a nationwide challenge with a local impact – on our children in our community. Help us solve this problem by becoming a vitally important member of our community.
Other than serving our community, here's what you'll get out it:
- Have fun working for a great team.
- All training is provided.
- PSD offers competitive pay and benefits (pay range $20 to $23.99 per hour, effective June 1) for bus drivers.
- Benefits include health insurance, life insurance, PERA retirement, paid time off, short- and long-term disability, retention bonuses, as well as other optional benefit elections.
- Apply today or attend a hiring event.
See what it's like to be a bus driver in this People of PSD video.