Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (“Section 504”) is a federal civil rights statute that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities
- Section 504 applies to recipients of federal financial assistance, such as school districts.
Several years after enacting Section 504, Congress enacted the Americans with Disabilities Act (the “ADA”), which also prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities
- Title II of the ADA applies to all public entities, including school districts, regardless of whether they are recipients of federal financial assistance.
Quick links to more information:
PSD District Policies for Section 504/ADA/Title II and for grievance procedures:
- ACE - NONDISCRIMINATION ON THE BASIS OF DISABILITY
- AC-E - DISCRIMINATION / HARASSMENT REPORT AND COMPLAINT FORM
- AC-R - REPORTING DISCRIMINATION / DISTRICT RESPONSE TO DISCRIMINATION COMPLAINTS