Special Food Needs

Meals for students with disabilities, dietary preferences, and allergies

Nutritional data 

***Based on unprecedented food shortages and substitutions by suppliers, the district’s ingredient databases are currently not available online.  Substitutions occur daily and vary by location.  Many of these substitutions have an ingredient list different from products served in the past.  Exact ingredients are still available daily at every Poudre School District kitchen.  Updated information online will be posted as food suppliers are able to guarantee product availability. 

Poudre School District is working with local and regional vendors in ensuring the 25,000 students at Poudre School District are served healthy and nutritious meals daily.  Please contact the district’s Nutrition Coordinator rwiggins@psdschools.org with any questions.

  • Nutrislice menu website notes nutrition information and ingredients for each menu item. ***

  • Our Ingredient Database lists ingredients for menu items. ***

  • Carbohydrate database check carbohydrate counts for menu and ala carte items. (Excel version) ***

  • Gluten-free items listing ***



To apply for a medical disability alternative, milk substitution, or food intolerance, fill out this Medical Statement for Dietary Disability Form**.  (Spanish - Medical statement for dietary disability form)

We modify meals for students with disabilities who are unable to consume meals offered to students who are not disabled. Completing and returning the completed Meal Modification form to the PSD Child Nutrition Office or your student's health office, is an important step for the development of safe meal modifications for your child. Determinations on if a student has a disability that restricts his or her diet are to be made by a licensed physician. Adjusted meals should cost the same as regular meals. The school, school nurse, family, student, and physician will work together to best meet the student's needs. 

To request a discontinuation of meal modifications, please fill out and return the Discontinuation of Site Meal Modifications** form to your student's school (Spanish form for Discontinuation of Meal Modifications).  Meal Modification forms may take up to 10 days to be processed.


Dietary preferences

To apply for special meal accommodation due to dietary preferences, religious preferences, or cultural preferences please fill out this Dietary Preferences Form for Meal Modification.  (Spanish - Dietary Preferences for Meal Modification form)

If you are requesting a milk substitute, please fill out the Medical Statement for Dietary Disability Form.



The school, family, and student will work together to provide a safe environment for students with food allergies.

Family's responsibility:

  • Notify the Child Nutrition Office and the school of the child's allergies.
  • Work with the school team to develop a plan that accommodates the child's needs.
  • Provide written medical documentation, instructions and medications as directed by a physician. Include a photo of the child with this information.
  • Provide properly labeled medications and replace medications after use or upon expiration.
  • Educate the child in the management of their food allergy including:
    • Safe and unsafe foods
    • Strategies for avoiding exposure to unsafe foods
    • Symptoms of allergic reactions
    • How and when to tell an adult they may be having an allergy-related problem
    • How to read food labels
    • Review policies/procedures with the school staff, the child's physician, and the child after a reaction has occurred
    • Provide emergency contact information

Student's responsibility:

  • Should not trade food with others.
  • Should not eat anything with unknown ingredients or known to contain any allergen.
  • Should be proactive in the management of their food allergies and reactions if possible.
  • Should notify an adult immediately if they eat something they believe may contain the food to which they are allergic.

(Source: Colorado Department of Education, Child Nutrition Programs, Administrator's Reference Manual)

Non-discrimination Statement: In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form.
To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights; 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: program.intake@usda.gov. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.