The world we live in has changed tremendously and we can no longer look to just the borders of our own country for products, services and information. Language comprehension involves understanding the cultural context of the interaction. PSD World Language teachers create a learning experience for students to participate in the 5 C's of language learning:
- Communication: in many forms for varied audiences
- Culture: understand products and practices from a lens of cultural perspective
- Connections: math conversions, reading strategies, writing skills, history, geography, art, food science, etc.
- Comparisons: compare and contrast own language and culture to that of target language
- Communities: use language outside of class, music stations, TV channels, DVDs, grocery stores, etc.
Seal of Biliteracy endorsement
PSD students have the opportunity to earn a Seal of Biliteracy during high school. The Seal of Biliteracy is an endorsement given by a school or school district in recognition of students who have studied and attained proficiency in two or more languages by high school graduation.
The seal appears on the transcript or diploma of the graduating senior and is a statement of accomplishment for future employers and for college admissions. For information about requirements, eligibility and the application, visit the PSD Seal of Biliteracy website.