At the April 4 meeting, the Board of Education approved our adoption of a new elementary literacy curriculum:
- Imagine Learning EL Education K-5 for all schools other than Bethke, Harris Bilingual Immersion School, Irish Elementary Escuela Bilingüe, O’Dea, Traut Core Knowledge, and Zach. (Overview)
- Amplify CKLA Skills K-2 for Bethke, O’Dea, Traut Core Knowledge, and Zach. The district has supported Core Knowledge schools with K-5 instructional materials from the Core Knowledge Foundation to support literacy and knowledge-building at Core Knowledge schools. These schools will collaborate to become more systematic in their delivery of literacy in the Core Knowledge model.
- Continue with renewed systematic support of McGraw-Hill Wonders and Maravillas as English/Spanish companion programs at Harris Bilingual Immersion School and Irish Elementary Escuela Bilingüe.
Literacy Materials Selection Process
Public feedback opportunities:
- Literacy materials for the finalists were on display for public review at the PSD Information Technology Center at the Johannsen Support Services Center.
- Vendors also presented their materials to PSD stakeholders at a series of three literacy engagement nights, which gave families and staff the opportunity to examine curriculum materials first- hand, talk with vendors about their materials and provide feedback.
All submitted programs were evaluated on:
- Development of foundational reading skills for grades K-2
- Provision of high-quality texts that are worthy of students’ time and attention
- Provision of opportunities for rich evidence-based engagement with text to build strong literacy skills
- Provision of texts that build knowledge systematically through reading, writing, speaking and listening, and language study
- How well it reflects the diversity of the students in our community