Early Access is an optional educational program to include “highly gifted” underage learners in educational programs for kindergarten. The students selected must be academically, emotionally, and behaviorally ready to fully participate in all aspects of public school.
The determination as to whether a student qualifies for the PSD Early Access Program is solely within the discretion of PSD staff.
“Highly-advanced gifted child” means a gifted child whose body of evidence demonstrates a profile of exceptional ability or potential compared to same-age gifted children. To meet the needs of highly-advanced development, early access to educational services may be considered as a special provision for the highly-advanced gifted child who exhibits exceptional ability and potential for accomplishment in cognitive process, academic areas, and behavior.
Age Requirement - “A student shall be age 4 by October 1 for kindergarten (Rule 12.08 (2) (e) (i) (D)”.
Criteria - A child admitted under the Early Access provision must show high:
- Achievement at or above the 98th percentile
- Cognitive performance at or above the 98th percentile
- Readiness for advanced placement
- Observable advanced social behavior
- Motivation to learn
- Support from parents
Application Process - Only the children of PSD residents will be considered for Early Access. Families who live in PSD may request an application from the PSD Gifted Facilitator at any time, but applications will not be distributed until March 2, 2020. Applications will be sent directly to parents.
Parents must complete the application and compile a portfolio that contains:
Complete application form
Letter stating reasons for considering Early Access
Up to five of the following (documentation and reflection):
- Performance evidence of drawing abilities
- Performance evidence of writing abilities
- Performance evidence of mathematical abilities
- Short letter from an informed adult (cannot be parent) documenting the child’s participation in learning activities or lessons
- Performance evidence of problem solving ability
- Performance evidence of reading ability
- Performance evidence of creative ability
Proof of residence within PSD boundaries
Copy of Birth Certificate
Information Release Form
Complete packets may be submitted to the PSD Gifted Facilitator between March 2 - April 3, 2020. The Early Access team will review the application and portfolio and determine whether or not the child will move forward with additional testing no later than April 13, 2020.