For students and families
Device distribution to students for 2020-21 school year
PSD has a one-to-one laptop program in place for grades 3 through 12. For the 2020-21 school year, the district will also provide devices for students in kindergarten through second grade.
When devices will be distributed this year:
- Middle and high school students: Laptops will be distributed prior to the start of school.
- Elementary grades 3-5: Laptops will be distributed to students in their classrooms.
- Elementary grades K-2: Students will receive devices and more information about distribution will be shared when available.
- PSD Virtual students: Laptops will be distributed at their home/primary school prior to the start of school.
Internet access and assessment
Parents asked to complete a quick acknowledgement of internet access on ParentVUE.
The district is assessing if students have access to reliable internet services in their residence to access remote education (internet access via cell phone does not count). Please log into ParentVUE and complete a quick acknowledgement to assist PSD in this important work. PSD has purchased more than 1,700 MiFi devices (portable internet hotspots that enable students to engage in remote education wherever they are) and will distribute those to students with identified needs.
If you don't have internet access in your home, details about free or reduced-cost connectivity options are available on the PSD Internet Access web page.
Coming soon: Tech support website for students and families
PSD's Information Technology Department will soon launch a new technical support website designed specifically for parents and students. The website will offer device troubleshooting information, application technical support and cover other common technical issues that parents and students sometime experience.
What you'll find on the website:
- How-to guides on many topics
- FAQs and up-to-date news items with answers to questions heard from the parents and students
- A calendar for important upcoming dates related to technology
- IT contact information for additional help
Online teacher learning pages provide remote learning resources
Student's remote learning resources will be found in one place via online learning pages that every teacher and/or department will have. An elementary teacher's page, for example, may feature messages from the teacher, and links to Google Classroom, Microsoft Teams, other learning applications. These pages will serve as the entry point for students to access content when remote learning is in place.
Safe online learning
It’s essential to provide a safe learning environment online, as well as in the classroom. Families and students are encouraged to discuss digital citizenship and its responsibilities. Learn more about safe online behaviors on the Common Sense Media Digital Safety website.