We are celebrating over 75 years of academic excellence in our community! Wellington Junior High School opened in 1964 after serving as Wellington High School for years. A new building was built in 1993 with an addition in 2001. As of fall 2009, we are Wellington Middle School (WMS), grades 6, 7 and 8! A long line of successful students and athletes have come through the doors of our school!
Our primary purpose is to educate every student every day. We recognize that teaching and learning must be interactive, meaningful, and appropriate to each student’s development and learning style. WMS strives to be a safe, nurturing school where self-confidence, self-worth, achievement, and initiative are promoted and celebrated!
Staff, students, parents/guardians, and community work to:
- Set measurable school goals for which we are accountable.
- Teach fundamental and advanced skills as required by the PSD curriculum, state standards,
- and the school community.
- Support interdisciplinary learning and encourage growth.
- Provide a physically and emotionally safe environment for learning.
- Promote a productive work ethic and listen to students’ needs.
Instructional & enrichment programs
WMS offers many acceleration opportunities for students, Pre-Advanced Placement courses at the 7th and 8th grade levels. Activities include a comprehensive academic program, an award winning music program, competitive athletics, intramurals, Eagles After Hours (after-school program), Parallel Student Advocate Program (PASS), character education program, Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) program, and Eagle Power student council.
Opportunities for parents
Parents serve in a variety of ways at WMS on the Parent Teacher Organization (PTO), on the School Improvement Team, and as classroom and media center volunteers.